Why Do I Need a Crown?
A crown is a dental restoration that covers or “caps” a tooth to restore it to its normal shape, size and function. Its purpose is to strengthen or improve the appearance of a tooth. A crown can:
- restore a tooth when there isn’t enough tooth remaining to provide support for a large filling
- attach a bridge to replace the missing teeth
- protect a weak tooth from fracturing
- restore a fractured tooth
- cover a badly shaped or discolored tooth
- cover a dental implant
What is a crown made from?
Crowns are made from several types of materials. Metal alloys, ceramics, porcelain, composite resin, or combinations of these materials may be used. In the process of making a crown, the material often is colored to blend in with your natural teeth. We want to create a crown that looks natural and feels comfortable. To achieve that, several factors are considered including the color, occlusion or “bite,” the shape and length of your natural teeth and your artificial crown.